2012年3月6日星期二

Ironman UK Beyond Expectations

An Ironman in Bolton, EnglandThis was my first experience of triathlon in England, quite rc flying fish simply, I had no idea what to expect from Bolton.To be honest, I didn’t expect much.Bolton does not have the magical ring about it from the typical hot and humid destination races I attend, work and race. It also doesn’t have the European Razzamatazz that surrounds Ironman across the channel.My verdict? Exceptionally surprised and I wasn’t the only one to have this sentiment.Ironman events in Europe are sold out. Frankfurt, Austria, Switzerland, wherever you go, these races seem to have some law of professional athlete attraction where the pro line ups are deep and hotly contested.It is not the same case in the UK. But I feel that could be all about to change. I think it is time for change.The UK is home to the best long course triathletes in remote controlled air swimmers the world.We have the world champion in Chrissie Wellington, and a stream of British girls waiting in the wings to dethrone angry bird her…one day!The men’s field is equally strong with a lot of new young blood coming up through the ranks. And what about the dynamic duo by the name of brothers, Brownlee?When they step to the next level the world better be watching!So why has ironman in the UK been overlooked by triathletes in favour of European racing or across the pond races?I was present in a work capacity this past weekend with IronManLIVE, logistically frustrating at times, I can hand on heart say we always do our best.The team are still recovering from the 24hour work day.What I experienced from the organizers eye was a new team under the guidence of Ironman flying shark UK MD, Kevin Stewart. It is a passionate team. There are of course areas for improvement, there always are.Having a 3 point race is a logistical nightmare for starters. But the local town council support here is impressive and the passion of all invloved cannot be denied.Also something I have not witnessed much of in Asia is the charity focus. In the UK, it is HUGE.The number of physically challenged athletes participating, local community support and local athlete recognition was heart warming.Amputee athlete Joe Townsend crosses the line.I was stationed in the town hall for much of the day. Not where I wanted to be. I wanted to be on the finish line and see and feel the atmosphere. But if I had never been in the town hall I would not haves witnessed the eager town council employees who on their day off were following the race and making sure the people in race control and timing rooms where happy.

没有评论:

发表评论